Sunday, December 17, 2023

Cheesy Daring - Cousins, Chaos and Connaught Circus

Forty years ago, the New Delhi railway station buzzed with goodbyes as I saw off my aunt and her family to Hyderabad. The 2 pm train departure loomed near, but hunger pangs roared louder. My two little cousins, thoughts fixed on Nirula's (Nirulas) nearby, yearned for one last taste of its legendary pizza. Back in the '80s, pizza was a novelty in India, and Delhi's Nirula's reigned supreme. Their visits always meant indulging in its cheesy, golden goodness.

With 30 minutes to departure, despair gnawed at me. Could I sprint to Connaught Circus and back with pizza in hand? Dress shoes and all, I weighed the impossible. Then, a reckless idea surfaced – a shortcut. Heart pounding, I dashed along the sun-scorched railway tracks, towards Minto Bridge (Renamed: Shivaji Bridge , Minto Bridge), a good kilometer away. Prayers spilled from my lips as I prayed for empty tracks.

At the bridge, I clung to the siding, slithering down to the iconic underbridge (A dwindling history: Minto Bridgelike a desperate squirrel. Sweat dripping, lungs burning, I sprinted along the sidewalk towards "Kake Da Hotel," another Delhi institution (Kake Da Hotel). Nirula’s was now in my sight. Adrenaline fueled my limbs as I hurdled four lanes of always-peak-hour traffic, a city-honed talent.

As I ran, scenarios flashed. Five minutes at Nirula's, tops. What if it was packed? Jumping the line was inevitable, and Punjabi rebukes, a given. Bursting into the near-empty restaurant, I spotted one hungry soul ahead. Luck! Desperate pleas bought me his place. "First pizza out!" I pleaded with the cashier, and in five minutes flat, I was out the door, unscathed by Punjabi ire.

Back to the summer inferno, dodging cars and weaving the chaotic traffic. With ten minutes to spare and gravity mocking my pizza-laden arms, I scaled the slippery siding, praying again. My breath caught in my throat as I stumbled back onto the platform, pizza box clutched triumphantly.

Today, my cousins still recall the Great Pizza Dash with laughter. I learned that sometimes, defying impossible odds can create the most delicious memories.


Note - Based on true events, this narrative has been edited and embellished with the help of Bard AI.


2 comments: